Roasted Beet & Bacon Salad
The beets at our local farm are spectacular! The edible leafy beet tops are healthy looking and vibrantly green. I enjoy the sweet, earthy flavor of the beets. They are all the more pleasing to my family when I served them cooked with bacon. Cooking the beets, bacon and pecans on the same sheet pan simplifies the preparation, while also giving smothering everything in bacon-y goodness.
Roasted Beet and Bacon Salad
- 2 medium beets, thinly sliced
- 6 slices of bacon
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped
- 2 pears, sliced
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 head red leaf lettuce, torn into bite sized pieces
Champagne Vinaigrette Salad Dressing:
- 1 ½ Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp champagne vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Place the sliced beets on a rimmed baking sheet. Top with the bacon.
- Turn the oven on to 400 and place the tray in the oven without preheating. Roast for 15 minutes, then toss to coat the beets in rendered bacon fat. Move everything to a single layer and continue roasting for 15 minutes, until the beets and bacon are slightly crispy.
- Add the pecans and roast for 5 more minutes. Spoon onto paper towels to drain and set aside to cool. Chop the bacon once cooled.
- Prepare the salad dressing: In a bowl, whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the olive oil.
- Place the bacon, beets and pecans in a large salad bowl along with the pears, avocados and lettuce. Drizzle with salad dressing, toss to coat and serve.
Source: Danielle Walker Meals Made Simple
Aubrey Schulz is a certified nutrition and triathlon coach with Get Out N Play. She works with clients to help them reach their nutritional and athletic goals, in the kitchen, out on the road and in the water! Plus she's knowledgeable about how essential oils can boost your wellness and fitness. You can reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org